10 November 2010

The Magic Wand strikes again, in Bruckner Eighth




Günter Wand has been dubbed the "Magic Wand" as far as Bruckner is concerned. In his late years, tickets for his concerts were much sought after. I was lucky to attend his concerts playing the last 3 symphonies of Bruckner, two in Edinburgh and one in Japan.

Altus, for the 10-year anniversary of its label, has just released his concert of Bruckner 8th during his Japanese tour in 1990, his penultimate appearance in Japan before his final concerts there in 2000. I just envy the audience in that concert. This 8th has a magical touch. All Wand's positive attributes are there. I'd say it is the most memorable among all nine Wand's Bruckner 8th recordings that I possess.

Wand's working style in Bruckner is well documented by reviewers and journalists. Wand described his mission in Bruckner, "When I conduct Bruckner, I want to show that he is a great symphonist and not just a composer characterized by solemnly sacred moods; I simply want to perform the music as Bruckner intended it." (quoted from his biography).

If I'm asked to choose only one of his characteristics to describe his art in Bruckner, I'd say "unflagging tension". His Bruckner never sags in tension, vigour or fervour. It is all done with a nice balance: his music never sounds hard-driven, and no sudden accelerando or ritardando are employed within a theme or section. Change of basic tempo between themes is usually marked with a slight pause to enable a clear perception of the juxtaposition of blocks of sounds rather than a fading-out and fading-in between thematic groups (in contrast to Haitink here). The tension is maintained simultaneously by a taut but polished rhythmic control, and by clarity and transparency in harmonic consonance. This delicate balance between the verical and horizontal aspects of music is almost inimitable in Wand's case. Celibidache can also muster such a balance, but at the expense of a general slow pulse. He just has that uncanny ability to draw the audience's or listener's attention from the very beginning.


Wand was very meticulous, or even fastidious, about rehearsals and performances. This meticulousness is particularly suited to Bruckner's symphonies, as Bruckner himself was also very meticulous about his composition. While some may criticise Wand's Bruckner as too "straightforward" or "literal", I would disagree. Compared with other lesser Brucknerians who only dwell on the "mood" of the music, or are too eager to present the "blocks of sound", resulting in a transformation of Bruckner's music into a form of protracted blues or unplugged heavy metal respectively, Wand is the quintessence of the masters in conducting.


Of the nine recordings pictured above, I'd take the latest one issued (Altus ALT198/8, 3 Nov 1990, Suntory Hall, Tokyo) if I'm allowed to choose only one. While the Berlin version exhibits excellent ensemble and orchestral sound which are highly likeable, I've always missed that little something that was present in Wand's other versions, be it NDRSO or Munich Philharmonic. It is what I'd call a "trace of anguished embitterment", particularly in the Adagio, that left a memorable aftertaste, and this is all the more evident in this 1990 performance. Listen to the long ascent to the climax in the Adagio (from m. 185; 16'43") and also the few measures before this transition, and my heart was subjugated. By the way if the violins are divided (e.g. as in Sinopoli's recording), it would be even nicer, for the second violins carry the melody while the first violins bring out the counterpoints, and a divided desk will highlight this orchestral masterstroke.

A truly memorable performance and recording.



21 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm very intrigued by this performance, partly because Wand was still in relatively good physical condition at the time of the recording, partly because Suntory Hall acoustics aren't just superb but inspire musicians to surpass themselves. The Altus label isn't available in the U.S. Is there a link here on your blog that eludes me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may try HMV Japan and order directly from them. The link:
    http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3926010

    ReplyDelete
  3. the sound quality is terrific, better than bpo's and mpo's. ndr is his warhorse. i think his bpo 7th suffered from remaster and sounds quite unnatural. intersted in his other ndr recordings. eaquson

    ReplyDelete
  4. All Wand's BPO Bruckner recordings were made by the same balance engineer. Close miking was employed and the sound picture is too immediate and close for some compared with other recordings which were more laid back giving a perspective as if listening from the middle of the concert hall. Is it the reason that you find it "sounds quite unnatural"?
    On the other hand, Suntory Hall has very good acoustic and it can be captured on records, as in this new Wand CD.
    Horace

    ReplyDelete
  5. merry x'mas
    eaquson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much eaquson.
    Wish you a very joyful Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.
    Horace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not see in your collection the ultimate Wand B9....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Romy the Cat,
    Thank you for your comment. Please elaborate on which recording you're referring to.
    Warm regards,
    Horace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try to find Günter Wand with his NDR Symphony recorded the 8th during the 1987-88 in Lubeck Cathedral. This is absolutely orgasmatick. BTW, that you very much for your blog, very pleasant to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Romy the Cat,
    Thank you very much for your kind words and encouragement. In fact I have the recording you mentioned, as shown in the leftmost CD in the second row in the picture above; it was a Japanese release containing the B8 and B9 recorded in Lubeck (BVCC 8889-90). I agree that the reverberations in the Lubeck acoustics augment the religious dimension of the reading which is really mesmerising.
    Best regards,
    Horace

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see, it is interesting. I have the same album released in the same year but different cover art. I am not able to read the text on your photograph and was judging by appearance of the CD box. I guess I have a different company who released it. The Lubeck/Wand 8 is amassing; in particularly it is interesting that the Lubeck long decay time for some reasons does not work with 9th symphony. Wand was trying to do the same that he did with 8th but it did not work and it sound like too long. With 8 it was perfect…. I sich he would record the 5 in Lubeck….

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, Horace.
    People seem to be enjoying this release thanks to you,
    but hit me with a stick hard in the head if I can find anything remotely clickable.

    Could you give me a hint?,
    or is it that just your tremendous review will have to suffice?

    Regards from Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Horace:

    People seem to be enjoying the release thanks to you,
    but, hit me hard with a sticj in my head if I can find around anything remotely clickable...

    Could you give me a hint?
    Or is it that the review must suffice me?

    Thank you againg for your tremendous review,
    and regards from Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deodac,
      Thanks for your comments. You have a great sense of humour.
      Sorry, I don't have an answer to your questions.
      Kind regards,
      Horace

      Delete
  14. Dear Horace:

    Well, I wasn't in a humorous mentality when I wrote that,
    for sure, though the opposite case isn't also true. I was just,
    well, behaving politely on an open blog, or so it seems...
    but you sure have a knack for it Horace, when you respond me like a politician would.
    LoL

    Is it because I'm unknown or not part of your friend's net?
    If I can do, or work towards the goal of being "like everybody else",
    I hope you'd reconsider your grin and take me seriously once,
    so we could all laugh on end. I always take serious part in all the projects I'm welcomed at, and I'm not at all without some resources.

    Try me. Please.

    Regards from Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deodac,

      I've perhaps misunderstood the word "clickable" in your original comments. If it means where to purchase this CD, I bought mine from HMV Japan. Here is the link:
      http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3926010.
      If "clickable" implies what clicks me in that recording, I've posted in the original post. If it asks for other B8 recordings I like, I'd mention offhand Karajan's (1988), Giulini's (VPO, BPO), Celibidache's, Sinopoli's, Thielemann's (Dresden) and Blomstedt's (Gewandhaus Leipzig).

      Sorry if my last reply has upset you, I don't mean it.

      Warm regards,

      Horace

      Delete
  15. LoL, and I tought I was being clever when I posted my first (double) comment...
    Well, all my mistake, Horace, and you don't have to apologize at all,
    even if you weren't the webmaster of the place. Your response came as natural as any admin's should be. I wasn't upset, just amazed at the misreading we were both having.

    Click meant what your first commenter meant at the end of his comment.
    I don't have this CD, nor money to buy it (long term unemployed),
    but I'm definitively going out on a scout mission
    to see if I can finally cast my senses to your magnificent words of appraisal.

    Bruckner remains elusive to me, yet.

    Thank you for your kind words.
    I felt very welcomed all along while we where 'chatting', believe me.
    Please, forgive my double-edged terms.
    As I said, your work here doesn't deserve more than my gratitude.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I take exception to this blog, choice of certain words anyway. Günter Wand would never "strike". He merely passed out hints and reminders to his players. I am talking about his conducting. It was not "magic" either. Rather, it was the result of meticulous preparation, and countless repeat performances (rehearsal and live). I reckon that you attended the mid-November 2000 Tokyo concert. By that time, the NDR probably could play Schubert Unfinished and Bruckner 9 in their sleep. Guess what the maestro chose to play in the 2 subscription concerts in Musikhalle 2 weeks before that roadshow? What else but the exact same programme?. During his final years, he only played 2 concert series with the NDR each season, and made no studio recordings of course. So I wonder whether he would have made more headway towards completing his final Beethoven cycle if he hadn't had to prepare for the Japan tour. Thankfully, the tour did produce a perfect recording, on video as well. There will never be anymore music making like what Wand did. The economics simply will not allow it. I was fortunate enough to catch his 2 series in the 2000-2001 season in Hamburg. Still it remained a big regret that I did not travel to Frankfurt in October 2001 for what would be his last concert because it was just after 9/11.


    I saw Abbado in Berlin the same week I saw Wand. Now, not only did Abbado strike, he also punched, jumped and kicked. Just don't ask about the music.


    pc
    from usa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your sharing.
      I used the word "strike" not in the usual sense of a physical action but in the sense of "making an impression".
      The brochure for his 3 Toyko concerts in 2000 revealed that these concerts had not been planned well ahead and apparently only a few months before. In this context I have doubts about their "interference" with the completion of his last Beethoven cycle which even in its now incomplete state remains dear to my heart as you can discern from my other blog entries on these recordings.
      Horace

      Delete